Does anybody love starting a new year as much as I do? I had a wonderful little break and am very excited and optimistic about the year to come. I will be bringing some new things to the blog in this first month of 2012 and I would love to get your feedback on what you like or don’t like, want to see more of or less, things like that!
I know several people make resolutions and a majority of them involve either getting in shape, eating better, or just simply staying healthy in the new year. I wanted to share with you one of my favorite smoothie recipes, taken from Kimberly Snyder. If you haven’t heard of her or her book, The Beauty Detox, I highly suggest you read it if your resolution involves anything with health. Check out the recipe below.
I have been drinking this smoothie every morning for about 2 months and I absolutely love the way it makes me feel (super energetic), and the physical results I have seen on my skin (glowing and less breakouts). It is full of nutrients and works great for me when I am in a hurry and don’t have time to eat breakfast! But most importantly when I drink this smoothie my day starts right and my eating habits for the rest of the day are reflective of this smoothie.
- 1-2 cups of cold, filtered water
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 5 cups organic romaine (you can mix up you greens – try using kale, chard, or arugula)
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1-2 organic bananas
- 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- Juice from 1-2 lemons
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- If I have room in my blender, I like to throw in a handful of organic strawberries
- Add all of your greens and cold water into the blender and mix until a liquid is formed
- Add vegetables, fruit, and herbs slowly, allowing it to continue to blend
- Add the lemon juice last, then bump up the speed to let it all blend together
- Drink 8 – 16 oz a day cold and store in a sealed container in the fridge.
*Original recipe from Kimberly Snyder, and photo taken with Instagram